This course would suit students interested in a career in the Health Industry. Acute Care professionals work in hospitals and aged care facilities such as nursing homes, performing a wide variety of tasks: meeting the needs of patients, performing administrative tasks and assisting other medical professionals.
Certificate III qualifications are recognised entry-level for employment in the Health industry, so students could work part-time in the health sector while undertaking further study in this area. Students may also wish to complete this course for general interest.
HLT33115 – Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (Assisting in nursing work in acute care)
- Satisfactory completion of all units of work available in 300 hour course is required to be eligible for this qualification.
The following patterns of study are possible (availability will be confirmed by the school):
- 240 hour course over 2 years
- 240 hour course over 1 year
- 300 hour course over 2 years
Note: There is no 120 hour course available in the Human Services course.
This is a Board Developed Course, Category B. Students who complete a minimum of 240 hour course may sit for the optional HSC exam. Mandatory units of competency from the list below are examined.
One Category B course (2 units) may be counted towards the calculation of the ATAR for university entrance. Students not wishing to achieve an ATAR need not sit the HSC examination.
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) requires students to complete a minimum of 120 hours of work placement, usually undertaken as 3 x 1 week blocks. Work placement is a mandatory component of the course and must be completed prior to the student’s last HSC exam.
Students must be 16 prior to undertaking work placement. Therefore, students need to have their 16th birthday before 30 June in the first year of the course.
Students wishing to undertake the Specialisation or Post School VET course need to undertake at least one of the above work placement blocks in an acute care (hospital) setting.
Days worked as part of a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship generally satisfy this NESA requirement, noting the above requirement for acute care placement.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. Your school will provide further advice.
Units of Competency
To be eligible for HLT33115 you must successfully complete: 15 units: 7 core, 8 electives (5 group B, 3 other). The 300 hour course includes the following units of competency:
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety (Core)[Mandatory for exam]
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures [Mandatory for exam]
- HLTAIN001 Assist with nursing care in an acute care environment (Acute Care elective) [Mandatory for exam]
- HLTAAP001 Recognise health body systems (Core) [Mandatory for exam]
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid [Mandatory for exam]
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people (Core) [Mandatory for exam]
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services (Core) [Mandatory for exam]
- CHCCCS026 Transport individuals (Acute Care elective)
- CHCCCS002 Assist with movement (Acute Care elective)
- CHCAGE002 Implement falls prevention strategy
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately (Core) [Mandatory for exam]
- BSBWOR301 Organise personal work priorities and development (Core) [Mandatory for exam]
- BSBMED303 Maintain patient records (imported elective)
- HLTAIN002 Provide non-client contact support in an acute care environment (Acute Care elective)
- CHCCCS020 Respond effectively to behaviours of concern (Acute Care elective)
- Diploma in Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Certificate IV in Aged Care
- Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance
- Carry out activities to maintain personal care and/or other activities of living for people in an aged care setting
- Carry out activities related to an individualised plan
- Report directly to a supervisor and are not responsible for other workers.
Duties and Tasks
Enrolled nurses may perform the following tasks:
- Assist with initial and ongoing health assessments and the maintenance of patients’ health
- Observe, measure and record patients’ conditions (their temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and blood sugar levels, for example)
- Report changes in patients’ conditions
- Attend to patients’ hygiene and comfort by assisting with bathing, showering, dressing and bed-making
- Assist patients with meals when required
- Assist patients with rehabilitation exercises and programmes
- Assist in the care of wounds
- Assist in emergency situations
- Assist in providing education on health and lifestyle issues
- Maintain a safe environment for patients and assist with the prevention of injuries.
- Good communication skills
- Tolerant, patient and tactful when dealing with people of different backgrounds, ages and cultures
- Able to follow instructions precisely
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to cope with the physical and psychological demands of the job
- Able to solve problems and make decisions
For further information: http://www.myskills.gov.au/
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.
Course Flyer: HUMAN SERVICES (ACUTE CARE) FLYER for Subject Selection.