This qualification provides an introduction to the Automotive industry, its culture, occupations, job roles and workplace expectations. The units of competency cover essential work health and safety requirements, the industrial and work organisation structure, communication skills, work planning, and basic use of tools and materials.
AUR10116 Certificate I in Automotive Vocational Preparation
Students who successfully complete all the units of competency in the Stage 5 Automotive course will be eligible for the full qualification.
This is a 100 hour course that runs over 1 year in either Year 9 or 10.
This is a Board Endorsed Course for Stage 5 students. It can contribute to the Record of School Achievement (RoSA).
There is no mandatory NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) work placement component for Stage 5 VET courses. However, work placement may be required for school-based assessments.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Units of Competency
To be eligible for this qualification you must successfully complete: 8 units, 5 core, 3 electives
- AURAEA001 Identify environmental and sustainability requirements in an automotive service or repair workplace (Core)
- AURASA001 Apply automotive workplace safety fundamentals (Core)
- AURETR003 Identify automotive electrical systems and components (Core)
- AURLTA001 Identify automotive mechanical systems and components (Core)
- AURTTK002 Use and maintain tools and equipment in an automotive workplace (Core)
Plus a further 15 hours of elective units to be advised by the school.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. Your school will provide further advice.
Students can continue into Stage 6 Automotive course.
- Trades assistant
- Vehicle service assistant
- Automotive service assistant
Duties and Tasks
Light vehicle motor mechanics may perform the following tasks:
- Discuss problems with car drivers or vehicle operators to discover faults
- Listen to engines, fit and operate special test equipment, and test-drive vehicles
- Repair or replace worn or faulty parts by removing assemblies such as engines, transmissions, differentials or steering gear systems; dismantling them and checking parts, referring to manuals as necessary
- Reassemble, test, clean and adjust repaired or replaced parts or assemblies, using various instruments to make sure they are working properly and putting them back into the vehicle
- Tune engines using special electronic equipment and make fine adjustments (to carburettors, for example) for smoother running
- Carry out minor body and trim repairs
- Diagnose, repair and replace engine management and fuel injection components
- Use oxy, electric, tig and mig welders
- Test and repair electrical systems such as lighting, instrumentation, ignition and electronic fuel injection
- Inspect vehicles and issue roadworthiness certificates or list the work required before a certificate can be issued.
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Able to work with hand tools
- Aptitude for technical activities
- Problem-solving skills
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Good eyesight and hearing
- Able to work as part of a team.
For further information: http://www.myskills.gov.au/
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.
Course Flyer: STAGE 5 AUTOMOTIVE SERVICES FLYER for Subject Selection.