SBATs are an excellent way for students to get a head start in their career while still at school.
Warwick’s story (Carpentry)
Listen to Warwick’s story about starting his career in carpentry through a school based apprenticeship.
Caitlin’s story (Nursing)
Hear from Caitlin who started her career in Nursing through a school based traineeship.
Eylish’s story (Learning Support Assistant)
Eylish Perry completed a school based traineeship in disability support and now follows her passion working as a learning support assistant.
Students doing a school-based apprenticeship usually combine the final 2 years of school with paid part-time work. This enables them to finish the first year of their trade whilst completing the HSC. They then go into the second year full time – usually with the same employer – once they leave school.
School-based traineeships are fully completed within the final 2 years at school, providing students with the HSC, a VET qualification, a Certificate of Proficiency and paid experience in the workplace.
SBATs are available in a large range of industries. To find out which ones, go the the NSW Government Department of Education SBATs in NSW website.
For Students and Parents
- Information for Students
- Information for Parents
- SBAT EOI (Application to Establish an Apprenticeship or Traineeship) (updated 20 Oct 2022)
- SBAT IBL Logbook & Journal
- Employing a School Based Apprentice or Trainee (flyer)
- Information for Employers
- Employer Questionnaire & Checklist (updated 20 Oct 2022)
- SCS SBAT Employer Satisfaction Feedback
Information and Guidelines for Secondary Schools
- The SBAT Guidelines are available on the NSW Govt. Education website
- SBAT Processes and Duty of Care
- SBAT Application Process Checklist for schools
- SBAT Change of Employer Form-TAFE NSW-Sydney Region
- Information for Schools
- SBAT Notification Form TAFE NSW Sydney Region (updated August 2022)
- SBAT Notification Form TAFE NSW Western Sydney Region (updated August 2022)
- Catch Up Questionnaire (link to Google form to be completed online)
- Incident Report
Information for Primary Schools : Delivering Our Own
For all SBAT inquiries contact:
SCS SBAT Coordinator
0407 979 917