For students in Years 10, 11 and 12, externally-delivered VET (EVET) courses may be available to those who wish to complete a VET qualification that is not delivered at their own school. EVET courses are available at:
- Sydney Catholic Schools Trade Training/Skills Centres
- TAFE Colleges (TVET)
- Private Providers
Schools have responsibility for managing applications and students must always discuss their options with their school coordinator. For students in systemic Catholic schools, where a course is available at a Sydney Catholic Schools TTC/TSC within reasonable travelling distance, students must attend this course rather than with another provider.
When applying for an EVET course, students and their parents will need to show that:
- Career pathway planning is integral to the student’s course selection
- The student understands the commitment required, including:
- The completion of all course requirements, including mandatory work placement
- Regular attendance. Students are responsible for arranging their own travel and meeting the travel costs
- Time-tabling issues which may require students to catch up on class work missed at school
Click here for the EVET Expression of Interest form 2023
EVET at Trade Training/Skills Centres (TTC/TSCs)
- Southern Cross Catholic College Burwood [School code: 10996]
- Saint Yon Trade Training Centre Bankstown [School code: 77695]
- St Joseph Trades Skills Centre Hinchinbrook [School code: 77700]
Each of these centres has state of the art, industry-standard facilities where students can undertake vocational qualifications. While students may enrol full time at our TTC/TSCs, many courses are also offered one session per week (usually in the afternoon) so that students can attend part-time as external students. The courses offered are intended to complement those already offered at schools and to provide students with a broader range of VET subject options. In some specialisation courses, students are able to complete full certificate III qualifications that are not available at their home school.
How do I apply?
- Select the course you are interested in from the above Overview of courses available at TTC/TSCs.
- Read the requirements of the course in the VET Courses section of this website and make sure you understand the course requirements.
- Complete the EVET Expression of Interest form and give it to your school Coordinator. Only applications that are supported by the student’s home school will be considered.
- When your expression of interest has been approved by your school, click on the link below for the TTC/TSC you wish to attend and complete the online application form. (Before applying, you will need to obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you don’t already have one, go to https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi)
- First round applications will close on Friday 2 September 2022.
- Students must investigate courses carefully and attend any interviews or information sessions required by the TTC/TSC to ensure they are making well-informed course choices. Some courses also involve completion of a selection test. In most courses there are mandatory Work Placement expectations, and in some cases there are vaccination requirements.
- There is a levy payable for externally-delivered courses. The amount varies depending on a number of factors. You should confirm this with your school before applying.
- Once applications have been received, the relevant TTC/TSC will contact the school to confirm details provided by the student and determine viability of running courses (subject to there being sufficient student numbers). The TTC/TSC will notify schools if the student’s application has been successful and provide further information about course schedules, days and times.
- When requested by the TTC/TSC, schools will need to forward the students’ completed Expression of Interest forms.
- Once enrolments have been confirmed at the beginning of the year, Sydney Catholic Schools will invoice schools for the student levy.
External VET Courses at TAFE and Private RTOs
Information regarding External VET Provision offered to students in Years 9-12, can be found here.
For further information contact your school Career Adviser or VET Coordinator
Information for Schools
2023 EVET Processes for Systemic Schools (intranet login required) (Updated August 2022)
Guidelines for EVET Courses delivered at SCS Trade Training/Skills Centres (Updated June 2022)
Page last updated: August 2022