The Sydney Catholic Schools Post-school VET program is available to students who have completed VET qualifications for the HSC and want to complete, or upgrade to, a Certificate III qualification. The program starts after the HSC exams, finishes by the end of the year and helps students to be better prepared to move on to work or further study next year.
These courses are subsidised by the NSW Government under the Smart and Skilled program. Subsidised places are available to students who meet the eligibility criteria. Funding is limited and is allocated on a first come first served basis.
What courses are available?
The Qualifications being offered in 2021 are listed below. Click the link to open the course information page, which has full details about Units of Competency, workshop dates, entry requirements, costs, etc. After you have applied, you should check the course link from time to time as any updates will be posted there.
- BSB30115 Certificate III in Business
- CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- ICT30118 Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology
The courses consist of a blend of face-to-face and online delivery. They are streamlined to give full credit to students for the Units of Competency already completed at school for the HSC and therefore focus on the additional units needed for the full Certificate III.
Completing these courses means that students can:
- gain full recognition for the units they have already completed for the HSC
- complete further studies in a supportive Catholic environment
- be ready to move into work or further study at the beginning of next year
- pay reduced fees for the qualification due to credit provided for Units completed at school.
What are the course dates?
In 2021, course dates have been adjusted due to COVID-19 restrictions. The actual dates for each course can be found in the course information pages. Click on the links listed above under the “What courses are available?” heading.
Am I Eligible?
Students must have successfully completed the relevant course for the HSC. Refer to the course information pages for details of the courses and Units of Competency you need to have completed.
***In 2021, Sydney Catholic Schools is able to access the NSW Government’s Skilling for Recovery program. This means that students who apply by 20 August and fully complete their enrolment by 15 September will not have to pay a fee. The following information is for students who apply after these dates.***
The cost for each of the qualifications is contained in the course information pages (see links above). A limited number of Smart and Skilled subsidised places are available. To meet Smart and Skilled eligibility conditions you must:
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen
- be 15 years or older
- live or work in New South Wales
- have finished school when you start this course
Where can I study and how do I apply?
As the courses are a blend of online learning and face-to-face workshops, much of the course work can be completed online. Workshops for each of the courses are also compulsory and dates will be advised before final confirmation of enrolment. Workshops will be held at Southern Cross Catholic College, Burwood.
Applications for 2021 are now open. Before you begin, please make sure you know your USI, NESA number and Medicare number.
- 19 April – Applications open
- 20 August – First round of applications close. (Late applications will be considered subject to availability.)
- 30 August – Offers will be emailed to students, including further instructions on how to accept the offer.
- 8 September – Students return signed acceptance of offer to confirm their place.
Student Documents and Forms
Post-school VET Student Handbook – outlines important information about the enrolment process, how to get a Unique Student Identifier (USI), expectations of students and policies such as consumer protection and payment of fees.
Withdrawal and Refund Form – Once your enrolment is confirmed, withdrawals must be advised in writing using this form. More information about withdrawals and refunds is contained in the Post-school VET Student Handbook.
Orientation Program 2021 – Business, ECEC and IDT at Southern Cross Catholic College
This page was last updated on 14 September, 2021.