This course is designed to introduce learners to the recognised trade skills and knowledge in the plumbing industry. If undertaking a School Based Apprenticeship, the course will provide meaningful credit in a plumbing industry Australian Apprenticeship.
The qualification may be completed post school as part of an apprenticeship. Occupational titles may include plumber,
gasfittter and drainer and outcomes will be dependent on streams undertaken within the course.
This course is delivered at St Yon Trade Training Centre (at LaSalle Catholic College Bankstown) by Diocese of Lismore Catholic Schools (RTO Number 45649).
Students will be eligible to achieve a Statement of Attainment towards CPC32420 Certificate III in Plumbing.
This is a 240 hour course over 2 years.
SBAT students will complete an additional 60 hours of course work i.e. a 300-hour course that runs over 2 years: 2 units (or 120hrs) in Year 11 & 3 units (or 180hrs) in Year 12. The course is available at St Yon TTC at LaSalle College Bankstown, a Sydney Catholic Schools Trade Training Centre. Successful students undertaking a School-Based Apprenticeship are able to transition to Stage 2 at TAFE in the first year out of school.
It is also possible to complete a 120 hour course in 1 year, provided there is space available in the course.
This is a Board Endorsed Course with no HSC examination. It cannot be counted towards an ATAR.
Work placement is strongly recommended for the 240-hour Plumbing VET course.
Days worked as part of a School Based Apprenticeship satisfy this requirement.
COVID-19 Vaccination is required to work in the Construction Industry. Students need to meet NSW Health Orders vaccination requirements to undertake work placement.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Questioning (Case Studies, Completion of Property Forms)
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. St Yon TTC will provide further advice.
Units of Competency
The following units of competency will be delivered in the course. Successful completion enables students to achieve a Statement of Attainment towards Certifiate III in Plumbing (CPC32420). SBAT students have the opportunity to complete the units undertaken in Stage 1 of the TAFE NSW Plumbing course, ready to transition to TAFE for Stage 2 of their apprenticeship:
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid (Core)
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
- CPCPCM2043 Carry out WHS requirements (Core)
- CPCCWHS2001 Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- CPCPCM2039 Carry out interactive workplace communication (Core)
- CPCPM3024 Prepare simple drawings (Core)
- CPCPCM2040 Read plans, calculate plumbing quantities and mark out materials (Core)
- CPCPCM2052 Weld mild steel using oxy-acetylene equipment (Core)
- CPCPCM2046 Use plumbing hand and power tools (Core)
- CPCPCM3023 Fabricate and install non-ferrous pressure piping (Core)
- CPCPWT3021 Set out and install water services (Core)
- CPCPWT3022 Install and commission water heating systems and adjust controls and devices (Core)
- CPCPWT3028 Install property service
- CPCPWT3025 Install water pumps (Core)
- CPCPIG3021 Set out, install and commission irrigation systems
- CPCPIG3022 Install and commission domestic irrigation pumps
- CPCPWT3020 Connect and install storage tanks to a domestic water supply (Core)
- CPCPWT3027 Install backflow prevention devices (Core)
- CPCPWT3029 Install water pipe systems
- CPCPFS3031 Fabricate and install fire hydrant and hose reel systems (Core)
- CPCPWT3030 Install home fire sprinkler systems
- CPCCCM2012 Work safely at heights
- CPCPCM2055 Work safely on roofs (Core)
- CPCCCM2008 Erect and dismantle restricted height scaffolding (Core)
Students completing this course may continue at TAFE to complete the full CPC32420 Certificate III in Plumbing.
For further information: http://www.myskills.gov.au/
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.
Course Flyer: PLUMBING COURSE FLYER for subject selection.