This qualification prepares individuals to apply a broad range of competencies in varied work contexts in the music industry. The course would suit students who are interested in performing music to an audience. Students may also wish to complete this course for general interest and to assist in part-time work while undertaking further study.
CUA30920 – Certificate III in Music (Performance).
From 2022 Year11 will be enrolled in the updated qualification CUA30920.
This is a 240 hour course that runs over 2 years. It may be possible to undertake a 120 hour course in Music Performance to achieve a Statement of Attainment towards the above qualification.
This is a Board Endorsed Course and therefore has no HSC examination. It cannot be counted towards an ATAR.
Although work placement is not mandatory for this NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) course, live performance is required to achieve many of the units of competency. It is therefore highly recommended by the RTO that students engage with people and resources in the Music Industry environment.
Evidence of the demonstration of skills and knowledge in the workplace setting can be gathered through work placement journals and supervisor observations and reports.
Days worked as part of a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship satisfy this NESA requirement.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. Your school will provide further advice.
Units of Competency
The 240 hour course provides units towards CUA30920. To be eligible for CUA30920 you must demonstrate competency in 11 units: 3 core, 8 electives. Students who successfully complete all units offered in the 240 hour course will achieve Certificate III in Music (Performance). The units offered will include the following:
- BSBWHS211 Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- CUACMP311 Implement copyright arrangements (Core)
- CUAMCP311 Create simple musical compositions (Elective A)
- CUAMLT313 Develop musical notation skills (Elective A)
- CUAMLT302 Apply knowledge of style and genre to music industry practice
- CUAIND313 Work effectively in the music industry (Core)
- CUAIND314 Plan a career in the creative arts industry
- CUAMPF314 Make a music demo (Elective A)
- CUASOU304 Prepare audio assets (Elective B)
- CUAMPF313 Contribute to backup accompaniment (Elective A)
- CUAMPF311 Develop technical skills for musical performance (Elective A)
- CUAMPF312 Prepare for musical performances (Elective A)
- Certificate IV in Music Industry
- Certificate IV in Musical Theatre
- Diploma of Musical Theatre
- Diploma of Music Industry
- Perform independently or collaboratively in the Music Industry
Duties and Tasks
Performing in the Music Industry may include the following:
- Provide support to
- Good communication skills
- Tolerant, patient and tactful when dealing with people of different backgrounds, ages and cultures
- Outgoing personality
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to solve problems and make decisions
For further information: http://www.myskills.gov.au/
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.
Course Flyer: MUSIC INDUSTRY (PERFORMANCE) FLYER for Subject Selection.