Certificate III in Business is a nationally recognised entry-level qualification for employment in the Business Services industry. This course would suit students who are interested in a career in a business environment and in other personal contact & service occupations such as legal or medical secretary, business management, marketing, advertising and finance. The knowledge, skills and attitudes acquired by students in this course will also be of value in future study and daily life.
BSB30120 – Certificate III in Business
This qualification is available as a School Based Traineeship. Read more information below.
This is a 240 hour course that runs over 2 years (4 Units HSC credit over Preliminary and HSC years). It may be possible to undertake a 120 hour course in Business Services to achieve a Statement of Attainment towards the above qualification.
This is a Board Developed Course, Category B. Students who complete the 240 hour course may sit for the optional HSC exam. Mandatory units of competency from the list below are examined.
One Category B course (2 units) may be counted towards the calculation of the ATAR for university entrance. Students not wishing to achieve an ATAR need not sit the HSC examination.
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) requires students to complete a minimum of 70 hours of work placement. Work placement is a mandatory component of the course and must be completed prior to the student’s last HSC exam.
Days worked as part of a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship satisfies this NESA requirement.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. Your school will provide further advice.
Units of Competency
To be eligible for this qualification you must successfully complete 13 units – 6 core and 7 electives:
- BSBWHS311 Assist with maintaining workplace safety (Core)
- BSBTEC202 Use digital technologies to communicate in a work environment
- BSBTEC301 Design and produce business documents
- BSBCRT311 Apply critical thinking skills in a team environment (Core)
- BSBTEC201 Use business software applications
- BSBINS302 Organise workplace information
- BSBPEF301 Organise personal work priorities
- BSBTEC303 Create electronic presentations
- BSBPEF201 Support personal wellbeing in the workplace (Core)
- BSBTWK301 Use inclusive work practices (Core)
- BSBSUS211 Participate in sustainable work practices (Core)
- BSBXCM301 Engage in workplace communication (Core)
- BSBOPS304 Deliver and monitor a service to customers
- BSBOPS201 Work effectively in business environments
Certificate IV qualifications, for example:
- Human Resources
- Business Sales
- Diploma and Degree
Individuals with this qualification are able to perform roles, such as:
- Administration Assistant
- Clerical Worker
- Data Entry Operator
- Information Desk Clerk
- Office Junior
- Duties and Tasks
- Personal Attributes
Duties and tasks
- Administrative assistants may perform the following tasks:
- Write business letters, reports or office memos using word processing programmes
- Answer telephone enquiries from customers, attend to visitors and assist other staff in the organisation with their enquiries
- Operate a range of office machines such as photocopiers, computers and faxes
- Undertake other duties such as banking, credit control or payroll functions
- Able to work methodically, accurately and neatly
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Neat personal appearance.
For further information: http://www.myskills.gov.au/
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.
Course Flyer: BUSINESS SERVICES (Year 11 in 2022) FLYER for subject selection.