This qualification provides an introduction to the business services industry, its culture, occupations, job roles and workplace expectations. The units of competency cover essential work health and safety requirements, the industrial and work organisation structure, communication skills and work planning.
BSB10115 Certificate I in Business
Students who successfully complete all the units of competency in the course will be eligible for the full qualification.
This is a 100 hour course that runs over 1 year in either Year 9 or 10.
This is a Board Endorsed Course for Stage 5 students. It can contribute to the Record of School Achievement (RoSA).
There is no mandatory NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) work placement component for Stage 5 VET courses. However, work placement may be required for school-based assessments.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Units of Competency
To be eligible for this qualification you must successfully complete 5 units: 1 core, 5 electives
- BSBWHS201 Contribute to health and safety of self and others (Core)
- BSBADM101 Use business equipment and resources
- BSBCMM101 Apply basic communication skills
- BSBITU111 Operate a personal digital device
- BSBITU112 Develop keyboard skills
- BSBLED101 Plan skills development
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. Your school will provide further advice.
Students can continue into Stage 6 Business Services course.
- Administration Assistant
- Clerical Worker
- Data Entry Operator
- Information Desk Clerk
- Office Junior
- Duties and Tasks
- Personal Attributes
Duties and Tasks
- Administrative assistants may perform the following tasks:
- Sort and distribute incoming mail to areas and staff within the organisation and dispatch outgoing mail
- Write business letters, reports or office memos using word processing programmes
- Answer telephone enquiries from customers, attend to visitors and assist other staff in the organisation with their enquiries
- Operate a range of office machines such as photocopiers, computers and faxes
- File papers and documents
- Undertake other duties such as banking, credit control or payroll functions
- Able to work methodically, accurately and neatly
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Neat personal appearance.
For further information: http://www.myskills.gov.au/
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.